Friday, February 02, 2007

Home Alone

R is in Whistler, B.C. skiing with his friends this weekend. I have enough work to keep myself busy all weekend, but it still sucks. I especially hate sleeping and eating alone. Ugh.

We’re moving in three weeks. My cubicle is full of empty cardboard boxes. My living room is full of empty cardboard boxes. My colleagues call me the “box lady” and my husband calls me “box bunny”!

We got our mortgage approved last week. We went with the CIBC AeroMortgage. I am a point whore, what can I say? RBC was not happy, but they deserve it. When we bought our first house in 2002, we were a tad clueless. Because the rates were so good, we opted for a seven year closed mortgage. We never even thought that perhaps we would sell before the end of the seven year period. Duh, seven years is a life time. What were we thinking?!? When the house was sold after less than two years, RBC charged us a $5,000 penalty. Oh, we tried to fight that one. Despite the fact that we invested the profit with them and a potential guarantee that we would get another RBC mortgage in the future, they wouldn’t budge. Last week, when we asked our RBC financial advisor to transfer money from our investment account to our saving account, he said: “that’s going to be for your RBC mortgage?” Let me think…noooo. Loyalty goes both ways, dude.

5 comments:

Foxy Renard said...

Good lord, I don't know how banks get away with it. An oligopoly with $19B in profits last year? Meh.

Hopefully CIBC will be better, box lady. Hah.

Ms.Teacher said...

Stupid banks!

I just left my bank after 16 years because of their ridiculous charges!

Have a great move.

Christie said...

Good luck with the move!!! Sometimes I feel like moving banks is futile - every single one will piss me off in the end.... sigh.

Lexy said...

We chose not to do our mortgage with TD because they were being totally ridiculous with us. Then when we switched our savings and investement accounts to another bank, they were surprised. Banks suck.

Raquel said...

CIBC did the same thing with us with our first mortgage. We were locked in for 5 years and sold in three. Because the first mortgage was in Tony's name only, they refused to roll it over with our new house in both our names (they were insisting on charging a fee to add me). Since it was costing us to stay with CIBC, and we wanted the new mortgage as joint, we took everything (bank accounts, investments,credit cards, RRSPs)to TD. Screw that.