Sunday, February 11, 2007

You're Hired!

Every year, new researchers are hired at work. Last year, I was involved with checking references. I learned two very important lessons through the process.

#1 Pick someone who knows you. There are two streams in sociology: Theory vs Research. We’re hiring for a r-e-s-e-a-r-c-h-e-r position. Don’t pick a theory prof to describe your research skills. They can’t answer half of my questions.

#2 Pick someone who likes you. People were brutally honest. I had someone tell me “she is good, but not a star, know what I mean?” Ouch.

This year, I am on the hiring board. Not sure how I feel about that. First, I am not overly interested in HR matters. Second, I am extremely busy with my other projects. Of course, I had to accept otherwise it would have looked really bad. It shall be interesting.

No comments: