Thursday, September 06, 2007

Now Boarding Flight to Honolulu, Hawaii

Aloha! It all started on Wednesday (Aug 29). I work 50 to 60 hours a week. I am exhausted and stressed out. After dealing with too many survey disasters in one morning, I decided I needed a break. I called R and said let’s go to Hawaii. Less than two days later, we were laying on a beach and soaking up the sunshine. What better way to spend the Labour Day weekend! Three and half days of paradise.

Choosing which island to go to was easy. On such a short notice, it’s rather difficult to be picky. Flights to Honolulu were the most convenient so Oahu we choose. It was the least amount of research I have ever done for a trip.

We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort and Spa on Waikiki Beach. It was much nicer than any Sandals I’ve been to. I am not sure if the beach is private or not but it is at the end of the strip which makes access difficult if you don’t stay at the resort. There were even African penguins and flamingos to keep us company.

Our flight was delayed (boo) so we arrived in Hawaii at 3pm. We hung out by the beach, had our first cocktail (those are addictive!), and relaxed.

Saturday, we walked along Waikiki beach and vegetated some more on the beach.

Sunday, we rented a car and drove around the island. Oahu is small enough that it is actually possible to do a full a circle in one day. Renting a car is the way to go. Organized day trips are grossly overpriced.


Dole Plantation


(Excuse the tackiness!)



Waimea Falls

If your time in Hawaii is limited, skip the Dole Plantation and Waimea Falls. It's nothing to write home about.

Now, here's the only reason I would go back to Oahu: Giovanni's shrimp truck in Kahuku.

Best. Shrimp. Ever. ($12)

North Shore (In-land)



North Shore (Along the coast)


Kailua Beach (East Shore)



South Shore



All good things must come to an end, apparently. More beach for us on Monday before going to the airport to catch the red-eye back to San Francisco. We got here Tuesday at 6am. Three days later and I need another vacation!

More

7 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great weekend getaway!! I was wondering where you'd headed off to :)

Lexy said...

We had shrimp from Giovanni's when we were there. Its like five minutes from my sisters place.

Looks like you had a great time.

Christie said...

Oh my. So jealous!!!! :) :)

Glad you had such a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I loved the photos! We're headed to Oahu in January and your post definitely helped get me even more excited for our trip!

Raquel said...

So. Jealous.

:)

mary kate said...

Looks like an amazing trip!

You are it!

http://bloggitymcblogblog.blogspot.com/2007/09/i-am-so-it.html

Foxy Renard said...

I don't think I can describe my level of envy at your amazing travels!

PS: You're tagged. See my blog for details.