Friday, August 17, 2007

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Ever since we decided to move to SF, finding employment has been my main preoccupation. I love research and the thought of not being able to work anymore was heartbreaking. I was worried that my visa situation, or my "all Canadian" education/experience, or my recent government experience would make an employer hesitant to hire me.

I was also very sad to leave DND. I loved my job and I loved my colleagues. The fear of the unknown made it even harder for me to finally make that decision. But sometimes, you just gotta look at the bigger picture.

Since I couldn't work until my paperwork was processed, I immediately started to volunteer at a small market research company. I knew that I needed to keep busy otherwise I'd go to the dark side (and that's not pretty). This was an eye-opening experience in many ways but the most important was to confirm that my motivation to excel is entirely intrinsic. In other words, being financially compensated has zero impact on my commitment, satisfaction, and happiness.

Now back to reality. Until I can pay rent with intrinsic rewards, I need to get paid! While volunteering, I was looking for a job. I was surprised to discover that my fears were not well-founded. After a month of searching and interviewing, I was fortunate enough to choose among several offers.

My priories were: Job responsibilities, career advancement opportunities, location, environment, and money. In the end, I accepted a Research Associate position with a large market research company. It's located in the Financial District; right in front of R's building! If I had time, we could do lunch together.

So welcome Moi to Corporate America! Corporate America has been hard on me to say the least. I work 60 hours/week, but I am having fun. I am either exhausted or drunk. We are part of two wine tasting groups here. Seriously, if I am not working, I am drinking!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

congrats on the new job!!

Christie said...

Congrats!!!

2 wine tasting groups? Way to go!! You know how how the saying goes: take time to smell the wine.. I mean roses.. I mean wine.... :)

Voiceless Wonder said...

Congrats on the new job!!!

Lexy said...

I know I haven't updated my blog in ages. Its because I'm boring and have nothing going on. I'm trying though. I posted something today.

As for Berkshire Hathaway, I would think it is a pretty safe bet, but I'm not sure what Buffet's plans are for retirement. He's getting up there.

What exchange is it traded on? I'll check out its history for you if you like, and I'll ask my Dad what he thinks

Lexy said...

Okay so I did some looking. Here's what I found. Both the A & B Shares are trading right now close to their 52 week highs, so they definately aren't a bargain by any means.

- They both have decent PE ratios, that fall within the general rule of thumb of being a good buy.

-They both have really low volumes per trading day, so if you ever have a need to dump the shares, you might have a difficult time doing it. It has to do with the price per share. There will never be volume. For instance yesterday, the B shares, only 790 traded, only 170 of the A shares.

- Because the price of the shares are so high (either A or B) you actually need to buy I would say at least 10 of the B shares (unless you have a gazillion dollars and can afford an A) to make it a decent investment. Right now there is only a $900 difference from the 52 wk high and low, so if you only had one or two, even though it has gained about 4%, over the long term it wouldn't be a great yeild (well not enough for retirement say anyway (if it kept going up at 4% you would only be making $900 a year per share).

- Honestly I think there are a lot better ways to invest your money. If you want something that has some safety in it, try looking into Exchange Traded Funds. They trade like stock, but are sort of run like mutual funds (without the mutual fund management fees).

If you want to chat someplace else about this, send me an email lexyphilbrook@sympatico.ca

Raquel said...

Congratulations on the job!

Irene said...

Congrats on the new job!