Sunday, June 17, 2007

It's the Little Differences: Clothing Size

America's obesity problem is not just a myth. In fact, the US obesity rate (31%) is twice as high as Canada’s (14%).

To cater to their costumers, stores carry larger sizes more than smaller sizes. In order words, the bell curve one finds is Canada (relatively normal: few XS, some S, lots of M, some L, few XL) is skewed to the right in the US (No XS, few S, some M, lots of L, lots of XL, some XXL). When you oscillate between 0 and 4, it’s frustrating.

I’ve had some luck at Banana Republic. Banana Republic usually carries my size and it’s often on sale because no one else wants to buy it!

4 comments:

Lexy said...

I think that I will have to become a lobbyist for women who are really a size 2. Crap I can't find clothes anywhere that fit me, unless I go totally designer and spend a gazillion dollars.

Down with vanity sizing :)

Raquel said...

I have the opposite problem... most XL are too small for me around the middle and I'm not a big girl at all so plus size clothing is too big.

I can't win either way.

Ms.Smarties said...

I hear your Raquel. I am totally disproportional. I am really a size -4 at the top and size 4 at the bottom. Argghh.

Ms.Smarties said...

Oh, I wish it was the other way around!