Sunday, March 11, 2007

The sociology and psychology of urbanites

I always knew I was the urban type, but I learned today that I am in fact an urbanite. The demographic and psychographic characteristics of the urbanite (as provided by Wikipedia) are totally me.

Demographics: 18-44 years old

Attitudes: They are time-poor, city-proud, media-literate, brand-centric, trend-sensitive and culturally-aware. They are affluent consumers with an optimistic outlook on life that is very different from those who live in “small town” or rural areas.

Motivations:
1. Expecting to live a meaningful and experience-rich urban life
2. Expecting to succeed in multiple areas of life (not just career)
3. Expecting to get substantial fulfilment from work (not just cash)
4. Expecting to be at the hub of a large friendship network
5. Expecting the traditional ideal of “true love” in the modern world
6. Expecting to have to “make time” in order to have and enjoy time
7. Expecting to avoid the use of debt to have what they need or would want
8. Expecting to have a progressive government that delivers results
9. Expecting to live in a pleasant “urban village” area of their city
10. Expecting to live a responsible life as an urban consumer.


Fits me to a tee!

1 comment:

Foxy Renard said...

I love this! I was reading the Environics geodemographic profiling earlier this year, and I think I was classified as "Young Digerati".

"Young Digerati consists of the nation's tech-savvy singles and couples living in fashionable in-town neighbourhoods in a handful of big cities. Affluent, highly educated and ethnically mixed, Young Digerati communities are typically filled with tasteful, high-rise apartments and expensive condos with home offices, fitness clubs, clothing boutiques, casual restaurants and all types of bars -- from juice to coffee to microbrew. With their deep pockets, Young Digerati residents enjoy shopping for the latest styles at Banana Republic, The Gap and Eddie Bauer. But they're not simply acquisitive materialists; many are socially-conscious consumers who support arts causes and donate money to environmental groups."

This stuff is so interesting, I absolutely adore it.

And, yeah, your urbanite profile fits me to a tee too!