Saturday, March 10, 2007

Flying with a cat...

One of my main worry about moving to San Francisco is having to fly with Kinki.

While Air Canada does not allow cats on the plane, United Airlines does. We're obviously going to fly United. There are no direct flights from Ottawa to SF. On United, we're likely going to have to fly through Chicago. Every time I have flown to Chicago there has been a problem (usually weather related). I hope there won’t be any delays.

Clearing custom is going to be enough of a delay in itself. If we go through Chicago, we’re going to clear custom in Ottawa which is a good thing. However, it will take more time than usual as we need to apply for our visas. It’s a fairly simple process, but Kinki will have to wait for an hour while we are being interviewed. He needs to go through custom too with his medical record!

He freaks out in the car, I can't imagine how much yelling he is going to do on the plane. I wanted to give him Gravol, but I read that it’s not recommended. He’s going to be starving by the end of the day… And won’t have any bathroom breaks!

I am so stressed out. Anyone has experiences to share?

3 comments:

Christie said...

My only experience with attempting to drug a cat (with Children's Benadryl) ended with a cat foaming at her mouth and puking and pooping in her carrier an hour later. And I still had seven more hours in the car to go. Let's just say I never tried it again. :p

Mine actually traveled quite well (the drug attempt was the first time charlotte traveled anywhere) - I hope Kinki will be okay. :)

Ms.Smarties said...

Yikes, poor Charlotte! Could it be that you gave her too much? What I read is that the combination of high altitude/lack oxygen is best handled if the cat is not sedated.

Kinki is not a good traveller. He freaks out in a car. He meows his little lungs out. That's gonna be so embarassing if he does the same on the plane!

Ms.Teacher said...

I used to fly my cat back and forth between Ottawa and Calgary often. While she cries in the car, in the plane she was silent. The plane is a pretty loud place, so I think that kinda scared it out of her. She was always so good and I was always so proud of her. My main concern was her becoming dehydrated.