Thursday, November 02, 2006

Birthday Girl

Happy birthday to me! Today is my 27th birthday. I’ve had to explain a million times why the Husband and I won’t “do anything special” or why he won’t give me a gift. Let me explain this once and for all.

It’s our money. If he buys me a gift, I am in fact paying for it. That’s not really a “gift”, is it? This “gift” would likely be useless because if I needed it, I would have bou
ght it already. I don’t wait for my birthday to buy something I need.

Let’s add things up (conservatively):

My birthday: $100
His birthday: $100

Christmas: $100 x 2
Our wedding anniversary: $100 x 2
Our dating anniversary: $100 x 2
Valentine’s Day: $100 x 2

Total: $1,000

$1,000 spent on the accumulation of useless “stuff” that takes up valuable space in our small condo. Instead, we spend the money on joint experiences. In other words, it gets invested (hehe) in our travel, wine, or dining budget over the year.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Which is why Dave and I don't give presents to each other any longer. We just buy what we want. I too hate useless stuff. =P

Happy Birthday, BTW!