Monday, February 13, 2006

Valentine’s Day aka Another Commercial Holiday

I hate holidays. The more socially constructed, the more I hate them. Valentine’s Day ranks at the top of my Most Hated Holidays list, right below “Grand-parents Day”. I kid you not. Given that September is a pretty dead month as no one buys cards for Labour Day, Hallmark introduced “Grand-parents Day” on September 11 (of all dates).


I hate cards. Why would anyone spend $5 on a card? Send me an e-card instead. Thoughtful, free, and easily disposable without guilt.

I hate teddy bears too. Men, do not kid yourself. Girls enjoy receiving teddy bears, women don’t. What would you do with a teddy bear? Exactly.

I like chocolate, but not the overpriced kind in an ugly heart shaped box. That's just eww.

I like dinner and wine, but restaurants are just overcrowded on V-day.

2 comments:

Irene said...

Are you my twin? I have taught hubby to never give me flowers. Not that I don't appreciate the gesture, but flowers die, and they're overpriced on V-day. I also hear ya about the dinner thing. Who wants to eat dinner when the couple next to you are slobbering all over each other. Yuck.

doctor T said...

The worst thing about restaurants on V-day is the shitty set menus they have. Three times the price for the same mass-made food everyone else is having? Fun!