Saturday, February 11, 2006

The New Age Student

I went to library at Carleton U last week. Some things, like books, never change. The most recent book was probably bought in 1976. Everything else is different.

Since I finished my Master in 2004, the university has become a society of leisure. New to me was the popularity of "The Page Break Café” where one can buy Starbucks coffee . There are brand new couches located throughout, new computers with flat screen monitors were added, and the walls have been painted a pleasant colour.

Two years ago only, it was impossible to find an electrical outlet to plug-in your laptop. Not very many people actually owned a laptop so it didn't matter too much. Now, all students have laptops, ipods, and wireless Internet. I didn't see too many students writing papers, but MSN messenger was sure going strong. They all have cell phones too. As a matter of fact, the staircase appeared to have been converted into a ‘talking’ room (like a smoking room but for cellphoners.)

I am witnessing a cultural shift. I saw more students playing than working. Playing with the ipod, the cell phone, chatting, drinking up their mocalattapuccino something, or even sleeping on the couch. I used to go to the library to study. I guess that's passé.

On the different note, I am utterly annoyed. I need a 1960 article on the interaction between the quality of work and global quality of life. Well, my very article was ripped off the journal!!! I hope this person never graduated. He/she clearly lacks common sense. This article is not online. Now I have to go to the ‘other’ university to find my article. Grr.

No comments: