Monday, May 14, 2007

My new grocery store

Grocery stores downtown San Francisco are expensive. Spaghetti for $3. Juice for $5.95. English muffins for $5.00. Needless to say that we've been on the look out for a nice, affordable grocery store.

Last weekend, we walked over to Trader Joe's which was recommended to us by a friend of ours.



Wow. Doing the groceries was actually a fun experience. Not only their prices are great, but the products they offer kick all kinds of ass. The store is small, but full of products I
want to eat. Even though Safeway/Loblaws/Sobeys are large stores, there isn't really much for me. I don't want fast food, 48-packs, kid's related products, clothes or furniture. I want variety and quality. I want exotic. I want small portions.

From Thai to Italian, they have it all. Fresh fruits and vegetables. Imported cheeses. Wine. The best part is their delicious prepared meals. I had their mixed greens with cranberries, blue cheese, & candied pecans with raspberry vinaigrette dressing at lunch today. Tonight, I had gnocchi al Gorgonzola with a bocconcini salad. Yummy.

2 comments:

Christie said...

I LOVE Trader Joe's. We stopped at one while visiting friends in Minneapolis in January and brought back a ton of food - chocolate covered figs, dried fruit, tapenade... just wish we would have known how good the $3 bottle of wine was that we had for supper that night when we were buying stuff and we would have picked more up for ourselves. I want a TJ's to come to Calgary. BADLY.

Foxy Renard said...

Oohlala, I've always heard that Trader Joe's is fantastic. I too want it to come to Canada for the very reasons you identified. Sodium-laden family packs? No thanks.