Friday, August 15, 2008

Gym Bunny, C'est Moi

This past year has been intense. My job has been enjoyable for the most part but very demanding. A typical work week is at least 50 hours, too often 60 hours. I found myself exhausted and irritable with occasional mini anxiety attacks.


I had to break this unhealthy cycle so I decided to sign-up at the gym. The gym I joined has many locations around the City, including one across from my apartment and one in my office building. Perfect. The membership ($85/month,eek!) came with two free personal training sessions. Excellent, I was actually complementing getting a personal trainer. My first personal training session was a disaster and it took me weeks to recover.


The pain wasn’t physical, it was emotional. I made an appointment with a personal trainer recommended by a single female colleague of mine. She failed to tell me that said personal trainer was a 6’2 feet tall, 220lbs, ex-Marine Corps muscle man dude. That’s probably what she liked about him. Me, not so much.


My first session consisted of performing a fitness assessment. Calculating body fat was the first on the agenda. Let me tell you how unpleasant it was to have Mr. Ex-Marine Muscle Dude measure me. I had not been touched by another man in years. I was so uncomfortable that I was seriously shaking. What is wrong with me???


The second step was to measure my blood pressure which ended up being too high. No shit. Mr. Ex-Marine Muscle Dude was making me unbelievably nervous. Then we did some flexibility and balance exercises. The good news is that I am not fat. The bad news is that I apparently have “below average” balance. Euh, he was stressing the heck out of me so much that I couldn’t keep my balance! At the end, we talked about my goals and the next session.


I joined the gym primarily to relax. This experience was more stressful than work. For days, I worried about the session with Mr. Ex-Marine Muscle Dude until I decided to cancel it. I don’t need more goals, timelines and stress in my life. I have plenty at work.


So I’ve been going to the gym for a month now, on my own. I can run one mile in 9 minutes, not bad! According to US Army standard, I get an 81% score. In general, I think exercising has helped me remain sane. I feel much calmer. I have more energy and I am less irritable.

1 comment:

Foxy Renard said...

Agh, I so hear you on work messing with the health. I've been such an exercise slacker this year - workouts here and there, but totally skipped stuff that I know is important, and I can totally feel it. (I just posted about the hideous results to my flexibility, hah, but also more importantly feel it in my response to stress, argh.)

Good work getting into it - and I too HATE those types of trainers, that's the main reason I so intensely fear working with them. Hah.