Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Delusional feminism

At the conference (see previous entry), I encountered an undiscovered form of feminism. Even though it was extreme, I hesitate to call it “radical” because even radical feminists occasionally have a point.

The hoopla was about the evolution of the term “women violence” into “family or domestic violence”. According to them, this is the result of a patriarchal conspiracy plotted by your one and only government of Canada to disfranchise women. My chuckles were rapidly followed by an enormous sigh.

I was recently involved in a study about violence that we named rather innocently “family violence”. Contrary to popular delusional feminist beliefs, we don’t sit in a secret room and think: “how are we gonna screw women today”. Our decision to use “family” as opposed to “women” violence was empirically driven. I hate to break it to them, but women are violent. The type of violence they perpetrate (mostly psychological as opposed to physical) and the reasons for it may be different (often self-defence, but not exclusively), but they are clearly not always victims.

Although there are several known forms of feminism, I was compelled to coin my own: Delusional feminism.

No comments: